No if's, and's, or but's about it- today's the day you are going to learn how to make salted caramel. No more from the jar caramel sauces or meltable candies, the real deal. And yes, there is a HUGE difference. This recipe only takes around 10 minutes to make from start to finish, so let's get to it.
What you'll need:
-2 cups white sugar
-1 and 1/2 sticks of butter, cubed
-1 cup heavy whipping cream
-1 tsp sea salt
-1 tsp vanilla extract
What to do: (pictures of the process down below)
1. Heat your sugar in a pot over medium heat, while stirring continuously. The sugar will start to melt, turning a deep amber, caramel color.
2. Once your sugar is completely melted down into a caramel-colored syrup, add in your butter and keep stirring. Watch out it'll make some scary sizzling noises, but hold your ground.
3. When your butter is melted, add in your heavy whipping cream and keep stirring. It will look as though your mixture is seizing up, and again it will make some scary sizzling sounds- but keep stirring and show it who's in charge.
4. When the milk is completely mixed in and your caramel is one smooth, even mix it's time to let is boil. Now, if you want more of a caramel syrup, let it boil on medium heat for 1-2 minutes. For a thicker sauce, let it go for 2-4 minutes.
5. After you have let the caramel boil for your desired consistency, remove it from the heat and add your salt and vanilla extract, and let it cool.
That's it- 5 ingredients, 5 steps. This can be used in cookies, cakes, pies, and even just as a delicious ice-cream topper, or an apple dip. Also perfect for workin' on that sweater bod! Want some recipes to use your caramel with? Let me know down below!